Are you new to blogging?
I love being a blogger, but I will be honest and say that there were days at the beginning that I wanted to throw in the towel.
You see, a lot of people have tutorials on “How To Start A Blog,” (shameless plug) but then you find yourself asking, “ok, now what?”
At least I did!
I remember sitting there wishing I would come across a post that told me what to do next.
But that didn’t happen so; I researched endlessly.
So if you are new to blogging, this is where I am going to simplify things for you with a list of ten things you can do in the beginning to help grow your blog traffic.
10 Actionable Steps (That Will Help Grow Your New Blog)
1. Grammarly Install this free browser extension. Why? Having tons of grammar mistakes will turn away readers. It’s also hard to develop a trust factor and a following if your readers are having a hard time trying to decipher your content. They have a paid version I use, it catches even more because I need all the help I can get.
2. Yoast SEO Download this plugin inside WordPress. It will show up below posts, so get familiar with it until you get a green light for each post. SEO will help you rank higher in search engines like Google. And that’s the point right, to have your information available to anyone searching for it. *Tip* Short sentences help and putting spaces between sentences. It took me forever to figure that out!
3. Canva.com Create beautiful graphics for your blog posts or social media with text overlay. They also have a section to create a Logo and social media headers for Facebook and Twitter. You can create and download as a PDF-Print, PDF-Standard, PNG, and JPG images. PDF’s are great for creating worksheets for your site as freebies.
4. Alt Tags When uploading pictures to WordPress, you NEED to fill in the alt tag description. Pick an image that relates to your post then describe the image for the visually impaired using SEO rich keywords. This helps with ranking on Google and Pinterest search engines.
5. Social Warfare Social Share buttons on your post make it easy for your visitors to share your content and drive traffic. I tried several other social share plugins that were free, and they slowed my site down. I was so happy to get a recommendation about this plugin because I love it. I can also hide my Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook pins in the post.<– This I love.
7. Facebook Page/ Groups You will need a personal Facebook account to set up a Facebook Business page. Most of my traffic comes from Pinterest and Facebook. Also, I highly recommend joining Facebook Blogging Groups.
8. Tailwind Automation for my Pinterest pins was the best decision I ever made when it comes to blogging. It generates vast amounts of traffic to my site and increased my Pinterest traffic tremendously. I have a post on How to use Tailwind to grow your blog traffic. You can pin your first 100 pins for free.
9. Milotree is a way to grow your social media following with one small pop-up that rotates every time someone visits your blog. And they have a free version.
10. Convertkit an email newsletter service. Start building your tribe right away. Offer valuable opt-ins on your site in exchange for peoples email. You can use Canva to create these, link above. The great thing about starting a newsletter is that you can drop a link to your latest post in their email, creating another way to drive traffic to your site. Whereas they may never see it on social media unless they get on the platform regularly.
One last thing to remember is don’t stress about implementing them all in one day. Just know that once I did have them in place, my blog took off and yours will too.
Grab the printable checklist here! So you check off the items as you go along.
Hi! I was a stay-at-home mom turned serial entrepreneur. My goal is to help other women make money online through blogging tips, entrepreneurial start-ups or help you find ways to make money on the side while you’re building your online empire. Get access to my library of 300+ FREE RESOURCES to start and grow your blog + biz.